Friday 11 September 2015

Minion Madness - DIY Minion Pinata

It's been too long between blogs thanks to the craziness that was the month of August. Shelladores moved headquarters and it was a big job which we are happily settling into now. I will share interior snaps of the new house when I have it looking pretty!

August also saw two kiddie birthdays for us to celebrate, a 2nd Peppa Pig Muddy Puddles Farm party and a 5th Minion's theme party. The latter is the reason for this DIY post (as promised).

At the time of Mr Fives birthday preparations I could not find a Minion piñata in stores despite some mediocre hunting. And a Minion piñata was a must as it had been specifically requested (demanded?) by the birthday boy. Not one to shy from a challenge I had a vision in my head of how I could pull off making one of my own and thought I would be kind enough to share (only because it worked). It was surprisingly quite easy and not too time consuming once you've got the right materials.

You will need:

  • A box of approx. 30 x 30 x 10cm. I found a sandwhich grill box which was the perfect size.
  • Yellow streamer ribbon - This can be bought from most cheap goodies shops.
  • Glue - I used craft glue and a glue stick
  • Sticky tape
  • 5 sheets of yellow paper
  • 1 sheet of black paper
  • Minions eye goggle mask & mouth print out - I found one through a google search, printed & coloured in.
  • Lollies - a selection of your sweetest choice
  • Strong string or thin rope



Step 1 - Poke a hole for the rope to go through at what will be the head of your box. Leave top flap of box ajar but ensure the bottom of your box is secure.

Step 2 - Cover the box in yellow paper - this is to stop any box appearing should I leave gaps


Step 3 - Measure the length of your box with yellow streamer and cut as many lengths as you will need. I cut my length to go over one front and side. I did 20 lengths at a time. Approximately 50 lengths was needed for one side.


Step 4 - Fringe your streamer using scissors. The streamer is so fine that you can layer and cut multiple streamer lengths at a time. I was fringing up to 15 lengths at a time.


Step 5 - Paste glue over the box and stick streamer one layer at a time just on the top edge so the fringing hangs down and overlaps the layer below. Start from the bottom of the box and work your way up. As the streamer is fine it is easy to tear once glue is applied. Trim of any overhang from the strips. Keep one fringed streamer length for sealing the box at the end.

 
 
 Step 6 - Turn over box and repeat Steps 3 - 5 for the reverse side.

Step 7 - Cut and paste the Minion goggle eyes and mouth that you printed out. Use two black strips of paper to make the straps on the goggle. Cut out four matchstick sized pieces of black paper and glue on top of the box as the Minion's hair.

Step 8- Using yellow card cut two even strips of approx. 4cm wide. Fan fold the strips the entire length. These will be the arms for your minion.
 

Step 9 - Cut out two small black hands that are in proportion to arm size. Adhere to the yellow arms and attach arms to the sides of the box. I required tape for this to ensure they will stay.


Step 10 - Poke through your string or rope ensuring you have enough length to tie your piñata.

Step 11 - Fill your piñata with some sugary goodness. I go for wrapped lollies as the idea of collecting them unwrapped from the floor doesn't bode well with me. Kmart has a good selection.


Step 12 - Seal your piñata well and cover the seal with your spare piece of streamer for a seamless finish.


Step 13 - Stand back and admire your handiwork.
 

Step 14 - Hang your piñata, assemble the Minions and let them wack away watching at your precious creation gets decimated all in the spirit of good fun.
 
 
 

 Note: My box was a little too strong so if you have a thicker box it might be an idea to poke a few holes to help the destruction underway.
 
Finally here is my attempt at a minion cakes for you to have a giggle at, I'll stick to Pinata making.

No comments:

Post a Comment